Tuesday, October 03, 2006

That Damn DAM!

I'm now into the break halfway through the 4-week Work Smarter, Not Harder class. The next assignment was to organize my work process. We do this by creating a DAM.

The DAM is supposed to keep you focused on one thing at a time, only what's in front of you. You put things into your DAM according to when you need to work on them - today, this week, next week, next month, etc.

I'm learning to work with this new system. I can see the value in using it, how it can help keep you focused and organized. My problem is that I find myself moving things around, putting things in, taking things out. Since it's still a new system for me, I keep thinking of stuff that needs to be in there - some small task or project I'd forgotten. I'm sure the process will get better as I get caught up, but for now, I just keep adding to it.

Sometimes I really don't want to work on what's in my DAM. I'd much rather do something else - like clean the oven or water the plants rather than bookkeeping or filing. But I love the sense of accomplishment when I've moved things out of my Today file - not because I'm postponing them or procrastinating, but because I actually got something done. I'm also beginning to get things out of my head and into a system. I don't worry so much about things falling through the cracks, or dropping one of the many balls I'm juggling each day.

Yes, it takes discipline. And I'm hoping this will give me some balance in my life. I'll keep you posted.

No comments: